Re: MD5 vs. SHA-1, Performance & Pedigree

> From ipsec-request@neptune.tis.com Wed May 29 10:10:21 1996
> Date: Wed, 29 May 96 09:24:43 PST
> From: baldwin <baldwin@rsa.com>
> To: "Robert W. Baldwin" <baldwin@rsa.com>, ipsec@tis.com
> Subject: Re: MD5 vs. SHA-1, Performance & Pedigree
>

>                 Digest Performance in MegaBytes per Second
>
>           Pentium P5     Power Mac    SPARC 4     DEC Alpha
>             90 MHz        80 MHz      110 MHz      200 MHz
>
> MD5         13.1          3.1         5.1          8.5
>
> SHA1         2.5          1.2         2.0          3.3
>
>         The number for the pentium is particularly high because
> extensive work was done to optimize the algorithm for the
> dual integer pipeline of the pentium.  The rest are compiled
> from C code with speed optimization turned on.

NB: these numbers appear to be from stand-alone tests.
Our measurements of in-situ IPv4 AH tests yield about
half these rates at best (for large packets, about 4KB),
and 1/100 these rates for either Ethernet-size (1.5 KB) or
Internet-size packets (0.5KB).

Joe
Joe Touch - touch@isi.edu		    http://www.isi.edu/~touch/
ISI / Project Leader, ATOMIC-2, LSAM       http://www.isi.edu/atomic2/