RE: issues raised at VPN interoperability workshop

I got a bunch of questions about the Commit bit, it seems it does not make
much sense to have the initiator of phase 1 raise CB. If he does, It is not
clear what should be done.

----------

If I am the phase 2 responder, and I see the initiator raising CB on the
first packet, is it ok for me to voluntarily not echo it back?

As a responder, if I wanted to use CB to get the SA in my driver first... by
having the initiator raise CB first, I lost my chance to use the CB as
intended.

Is it correct to assume that generally, the responder of a phase 2 will be
the first to raise it?

If the initiator raises CB first, the conversation will look like this:

        Initiator                        Responder
       -----------                      -----------
        HDR*, HASH(1), SA, Ni
          [, KE ] [, IDci, IDcr ] -->
                                  <--    HDR*, HASH(2), SA, Nr
                                               [, KE ] [, IDci, IDcr ]
        HDR*, HASH(3)             -->
	  HDR*, HASH, CONNECT       -->

What do I do if I get the CONNECT notify before HASH(3)? Do ignore it, get
the Quick mode message than retry again till I get the CONNECT again? or can
I simply not echo CB and forget about this case?

If the initiator raised CB first and gets HASH(2) more than once, should he
replay both HDR, HASH(3) and CONNECT notify?

Ylian Saint-Hilaire
INTEL - Communication Architecture Labs