Re: [IPSECKEY] Re: comments and nits (not including SC)

At Tue, 20 May 2003 14:21:31 -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

>     Rob> Nit:
>
>     Rob> |  3  A wire-encoded domain-name is present.  The wire-encoded format is
>     Rob> |     self-describing, so the length is implicit.
>
>     Rob> Change:
>
>     Rob> s/domain-name/domain name/
>
>     Rob> Rational:
>
>     Rob> There's no such thing as a "domain-name".
>
> RFC1035:, section 3.3:
>
>   <domain-name> is a domain name represented as a series of labels, and
>   terminated by a label with zero length.  <character-string> is a single
>   length octet followed by that number of characters.  <character-string>
>   is treated as binary information, and can be up to 256 characters in
>   length (including the length octet).
>
> Perhaps I should say "<domain-name>"?

As I said, a nit, but anyway...  The RFC 1035 context is a (partial)
BNF grammer, which replaces interword whitespace in multi-word token
names with hyphenation.

In ordinary running text it's still "domain name" (or "DNS name").

>   I've been told to get rid of the reference in the abstract. Do I do this
> by just deleting the [11], or the RFC3445. as well?

Deleting just [11] may suffice, deleting both is safest.

>     Rob> Minor content:
>
>     Rob>    An IPSECKEY resource record SHOULD be authenticated DNSSEC resource
>     Rob>    record.
>
>     Rob> Change:
>
>     Rob> s/SHOULD be authenticated DNSSEC resource record/MUST be used in
>     Rob> combination with DNSSEC unless some other means of authenticating the
>     Rob> IPSECKEY resource record is available/
>
>   Done.
>
>     Rob> I think that this rephrasing of the SHOULD as a conditional MUST
>     Rob> captures the intent of the WG (I could be wrong), and seems more
>     Rob> likely to survive IETF last call and IESG review than the original.
>
>   I think that I agree with your intent.
>   But, I thought that this is where "SHOULD" was was useful. I was trying
> to write:
>
>        An IPSECKEY resource record SHOULD be authenticated.
>        DNSSEC is the recommended method.
>
>   See next message dealing with SC section.

Ack, let's revisit this one after the Security Considerations section.

>     Rob> |  The gateway field indicates a gateway to which an IPsec tunnel may be
>     Rob> |  created in order to reach the entity holding this resource record.
>
>     Rob> Change:
>
>     Rob> s/holding/named by/
>
>     Rob> Rational:
>
>     Rob> Not clear what it means for an entity to "hold" a DNS name.
>
>   I'd say "naming" - Its the thing on the left that I want to refer to.

s/holding/named by the owner name of/

("owner name" is the DNS weenie term for the thing on the left.)

>     Rob> |  An example of a node, 3ffe:501:4819:2000:210:f3ff:fe03:4d0 that has
>     Rob> |  delegated authority to the node
>
>     Rob> Change:
>
>     Rob> s/to the node/to the node 2001:200:0:8002::2000:1./
>
>   Done.
>
>     Rob> See ID-nits comments (below), though, the address itself will probably
>     Rob> have to change.
>
>   Switched to 2002: example.
>   Bill Manning says that there is an example allocation in IPv6.

Cool, I must've missed it.  Reference?
-
This is the IPSECKEY@sandelman.ca list.
Email to ipseckey-request@sandelman.ca to be removed.