[OPIRG-EVENTS] Sign up for the Commuter Challenge! (June 4th-8th)

Join the Commuter Challenge!

In honour of Environment Week, join thousands of
others to help Ottawa and the National Capital
Region vanquish Victoria's challenge, and prove
ourselves to be Canada's green commuting capital.

Walk, cycle, skate, bus, car-share or tele-commute
to work/school at least once over this week, June
4th-8th, and go to the website
ncr.commuterchallenge.net to register the mode(s)
you're using (before or after you travel).  The
web site will calculate the pollution emissions
saved by not using a single-passenger motor
vehicle, and count your participation towards our
challenge with Victoria.

Please register regardless of whether you are
always a green commuter, or if you're trying
something different this week.  (You must register
before Friday, June 8th at 3 p.m. to be counted in
the national challenges - it only takes a few
minutes.)

Please also pass this on to friends and colleagues
to encourage them to participate.  Together we can
help provide cleaner air and healthier
transportation for everyone, as well as some
municipal pride just for us. ;-)

Last year, we challenged Calgary and more than
doubled their participation, with 10,939 people
registered, so this year we challenged Greater
Victoria (on a per-capita basis).
National results are updated every hour at:
http://www.commuterchallenge.net/nationalresults.phtml.en.
As of 2 p.m. Tuesday, we had 2495 people
registered, and were starting to pull ahead of
Victoria, but we're also aiming for 15,000
participants, so we need lots more!

This, the 10th Annual Commuter Challenge, is being
organized locally by Auto-Free Ottawa and CREDDO,
le Conseil régional de l'environnement et du
développement durable de l'Outaouais, to encourage
commuters to use less-polluting means of
transportation, and to thank those who already
do.  Much credit goes to longtime local activist
Mike Buckthought for first organizing Bike To Work
Week here 10 years ago, which has since blossomed
into this national event.

Wednesday, June 6th is Clean Air Day, with food,
drink, live music, eco-gifts, info tables (and
maybe even kite-flying) from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.,
at the Capital InfoCentre Plaza, at 90 Wellington.

For more information, check the web site
http://ncr.commuterchallenge.net, Email
challenge@flora.org, or call 560-0505.

Thanks for your participation!

Andrew Van Iterson