[OPIRG-EVENTS] Saturday Oct 6 COAT event to promote nonviolence

The Coalition to Oppose the Arms Trade has been planning an event called

"No to NATO: Festival of Creative Nonviolence"
Saturday, October 6 (1 p.m.)

COAT will proceed with an event on October 6 at 1 pm.  The focus of our
event will still be the need for "nonviolence."

I believe that the need to promote nonviolence is even more important now
than before.

Important information about our event:
In light of the horror that struck the US yesterday, I believe very
strongly that we must consider certain changes to our event.  I, and many
others -- especially those who have been my closest allies in the
day-to-day work of organizing this event -- agree wholeheartedly that
certain key changes should be made.  We believe that it should not be
framed as a fun, festive, joyeous, celebratory event.  We also believe that
it should not be held right across from the US embassy as previously
planned.  Also, although we certainly need to call upon the US and NATO to
resist their inclination to launch revengeful bombings that will only make
things worse, we must also be careful not to take any actions that may
wrongly be perceived as insensitive to the loss of innocent US lives.
(Just as we would not have organized an event to highlight Japanese
imperialism in the days immediately following Hiroshima!)

I believe that the central messages of our event on Saturday Oct 6 should
be a "plea for nonviolence" and a "call to end the cycle of violence"

Some of the reasons behind these suggestions can be read here:
"Festival: Need for input in light of mass murder in the US "
<http://www.flora.org/coat/forum/284>

"Is a festive, celebratory event still appropriate?"
<http://www.flora.org/coat/forum/296>

If you want to stay on top of these discussions then join our list serve by
following the instructions at the end of my email message.

Our next general planning meeting is:
Tuesday, September 25, 7:30 pm.
at Friends Meeting House,
91A Fourth Ave. (just east of Bank St.)

Yesterday, someone sent members of the OPIRG list serve an email from Kole
in Toronto that critiqued my suggestions that the location and tone of the
event should be changed.  I believe it is only fair that my response to
Kole's letter be made available to those on this list who may be
interested. You can read my response to Kole on the no_to_nato list serve
archive:

"Important! Re: Changing the focus of our event"
<http://www.flora.org/coat/forum/306>

Thanks for your indulgance, I will restyrict my posting to this list serve
strictly to announcements of events.

Richard

                          Richard Sanders
       Coordinator, Coalition to Oppose the Arms Trade (COAT)

              A national peace network supported by
           individuals and organizations across Canada

          541 McLeod St., Ottawa Ontario K1R 5R2  Canada
            Tel.:  613-231-3076      Fax: 613-231-2614
     Email: <ad207@ncf.ca>   Web site: <http://www.ncf.ca/coat>

 Help build opposition to NATO PA meetings in Ottawa, Oct. 5-8, 2001!
                  Join the "no_to_nato" list serve:
 Send the message:  subscribe no_to_nato   to   <majordomo@flora.org>
Read the archives of our list serve <http://www.flora.org/coat/forum/>
-