Network Layer Encryption History and Prior Art

Phil,

Approching for network layer encryption have been openly published before the
work in the IETF.

<Phil> ... in reference to the UUNET patent on network encryption
>All the basic concepts of IP Security (especially
>including what we now call "tunnel mode") have been
>widely and publicly known since at least the original
>"lunch BOF" that I called at the San Diego IETF
>meeting way back in 1992.

The research and development of "Network Security" started in the late 70's at
BBN with the development of the "IPLI".  Classified research and development
continued in this area on the Blacker (Unisys) and Caneware (Motorola)
programs in the early 80's.  The NSA sponsored Secure Data Network System
(SDNS) project brought together a variety of vendors that created the early
SP3, KMP and MSP specifications.  SP3 provided network layer security services
that included a tunneling mode.  SP3 is very similar to the IPsec working
group ESP specification.  The Key Management Protocol (KMP) is similar to the
ISAKMP specification in concept, but used ASN.1 for specifying the protocol
formats.  Much of the SDNS work was openly published starting in about 1988.
The Motorola Network Encryption System (NES) is an SDNS device and was
designed in the mid to late 80's.

The SDNS specification for SP3 was submitted to the ANSI and ISO standards
committees and mutated into the Network Layer Security Protocol (NLSP).  NLSP
included a network layer key establishment protocol that served as a starting
point for some of the current IPsec key management proposals.

An important early paper on network security was written by Dave Golber
(Unisys at the time) on the "Dual versus Single Catenet Security Model" (about
1983).  There are a variety of SP3 security papers written in 1988 and 1989.

So, there is a lot of prior art for network encryption.  Most of the major
wrinkles in the technology were worked out in the late 80's by projects
sponsored by the NSA and openly published to help create "good" security
standards.

Paul

Paul Lambert                     Director of Security Products
Oracle Corporation                       Phone: (415) 506-0370
500 Oracle Parkway, Box 659410             Fax: (415) 413-2963
Redwood Shores, CA  94065               palamber@us.oracle.com

-- BEGIN included message

>Filed:		Sep. 13, 1994
>Filed:		Jan. 19, 1994

All the basic concepts of IP Security (especially including what we
now call "tunnel mode") have been widely and publicly known since at
least the original "lunch BOF" that I called at the San Diego IETF
meeting way back in 1992.  So the validity of these patents is not
only seriously in doubt, but there is also the interesting question of
fraud against the PTO for not disclosing all known relevant prior art.

Phil

-- END included message