Re: l2f and Cisco???

> Pointcast had a press release from last night from Cisco, Nortell, and Shiva
> announcing 'layer two forwarding' that they had submitted to the IETF for a
> standard.
>
> Can the Cisco and other members here comment on what l2f gives over ipsec?
> Why should l2f become more than an informational RFC and why even is it neede
>       d?

Bob,

L2F and IPSEC play very different roles.  In fact the two can be used
together to play a quite useful role.  l2f provides for tunneling of remote
access users to a central location so their connectivity appears similar no
matter what access point they use.  (ie. if I dialed into ANY of my service
providers dialup pools, in any city, I would still get the same network
connectivity as if I dialed into cisco directly.)  Another benefit is the
MUXing of multiple users over a single (presumably lower cost) long haul
link (internet, frame relay, ...).

This protocol (and another called PPTP) are being discussed on the ppp list
	<ietf-ppp@MERIT.EDU>

Dave