I just moved some patches to the Linux kernel from a 2.6.15 base to a 188.8.131.52 base.
This is how I did it:
- I started by going to my copy of the Linus Torvalds tree, and updating it.
to get the latest code down, just in case.
- I then cloned the tree.
Cloning it like this lets it use hard links!
- I then added the 2.6.16 branches:
- I then added the stable 2.6.16 tree to my working tree. I prefer to have seperate trees like this so that I can poke around. I could added the stable branch to my torvalds tree, btw.
- Then I ran git rebase.
I made sure to leave a tag, because “git rebase” changes the branch, and you might not be able to get it back.